Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land. Psalm 85:9
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer reminds us that the Psalms were Jesus’ prayerbook. How might Jesus have prayed this verse?
- The angel told Joseph that the name of the son to be born to Mary would be Emmanuel, meaning “God with us.” How does this verse recall God’s promise to be with us?
- When the psalmist uses the term salvation what do you think he means?
- In verse 85:10 the psalmist writes, “Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other.” How does this imagery shape your understanding of the term salvation in verse 9?
- Do you believe that God’s salvation is at hand? Why? Does this verse bolster your confidence and joy of living? In what way?
- There are numerous views of the meaning of glory in this verse. Do you think Revelation has anything informative to say about it?
See, the home of God is among mortals.
- This verse speaks of something that is anticipated, but not yet in evidence. How does a vision of something that isn’t happening yet encourage you?