Chorus. On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.
2. When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest upon unchanging grace;
In ev’ry rough and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
3. His oath, his covenant, his blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
4. When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then be found in him;
Dressed in his righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
- Have you ever thought that you had endured enough misery that you deserve something good? Have you ever thought that way about Jesus? Do you really, truly, wholly lean on Jesus’ name?
- Fifty miles out to sea in the middle of the night with the wind roaring and waves throwing themselves at the boat, it is tempting to cry out, “I want off!” Life feels that way sometimes. How do you keep going when you don’t feel like going on?
- When did you feel that everything around you had given way? Do you feel that way now? When the foundations you built your life on disintegrate under you (for example, house, job, family, health), where do you find support? Where does this hymnwriter find support?
- Sometimes it feels as if there is no future. Sometimes you feel as if you don’t want the future you see. How does faith in Christ’s ultimate victory in eternity shape your experience of events in your present time-bounded life?