Christ the Lord is Risen Today!
Christ the Lord is risen today, Alleluia!
Earth and heaven in chorus say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth reply, Alleluia!
Love’s redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!
Death in vain forbids him rise, Alleluia!
Christ has opened paradise, Alleluia!
Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once he died our souls to save, Alleluia!
Where’s thy victory, boasting grave? Alleluia!
Soar we now where Christ has led, Alleluia!
Following our exalted Head, Alleluia!
Made like him, like him we rise, Alleluia!
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!
Hail the Lord of earth and heaven, Alleluia!
Praise to thee by both be given, Alleluia!
Thee we greet triumphant now, Alleluia!
Hail the Resurrection, thou, Alleluia!
King of glory, soul of bliss, Alleluia!
Everlasting life is this, Alleluia!
Thee to know, thy power to prove, Alleluia!
Thus to sing, and thus to love, Alleluia!
- The word Alleluia is sometimes spelled Hallelujah. Regardless of the spelling, the word means “Praise the Lord.” Why do Christians praise the Lord most fervently on Easter Sunday?
- Some Christians would like to end the use of the word Easter in association with the celebration of Christ’s resurrection. Why do they feel that way? Do you feel that way? If so, how would you refer to this celebration?
- What is “love’s redeeming work” that is done and marked complete by Christ’s resurrection?
- The hymn appends “Alleluia” to the line that says, “Ours the cross, the grave, the skies.” What does it mean that the cross and the grave are ours? Do you honestly praise God that the cross is yours?
- It is joy to know Christ, as the final verse proclaims. It is joy in both time and eternity. Secular thinkers not only deny the existence of Christ, but they also deny the existence of eternity. They further declare that eternal life is nothing to desire. How do you testify to the truth and the blessing of eternal life?