Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise. Psalm 66:1-2
- What’s going wrong in your world today? Why should you make a joyful noise to God? If God is so good, why is there so much evil?
3 Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds!
So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you.
4 All the earth worships you
and sings praises to you;
they sing praises to your name.” Psalm 66:3-4
- Was life three thousand years ago that much better than today? Where did this guy get so much enthusiasm for God?
5 Come and see what God has done:
he is awesome in his deeds toward the children of man. Psalm 66:5
- What has God done in your life? What has he done for you lately? Do you know someone for whom God has done awesome deeds?
6 He turned the sea into dry land;
they passed through the river on foot.
There did we rejoice in him,
7 who rules by his might forever,
whose eyes keep watch on the nations—
let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Psalm 66:6-7
- Well, he made dry land for the Israelites in the Red Sea, but I can’t buy a raise at work? I don’t think I am rebellious. I don’t think I am an egotist. Why don’t I think I have anything much to rejoice about?
8 Bless our God, O peoples;
let the sound of his praise be heard,
9 who has kept our soul among the living
and has not let our feet slip. Psalm 66:8-9
- I like this part. I am alive, and I guess that is better than the alternative. Yet I sometimes feel as if my feet actually are slipping. How do I pray this psalm with sincerity?
4 thoughts on “A Verse for Meditation”
We can rejoice because of what Jesus did on the cross for us. If we have sickness, loss, evil attacks, we can know that Jesus suffered more than we suffer. He is with us and will never leave us or forsake us. He can take anything we gummed up and make something good out of it. My husband and I argued about scripture for 40 years in front of our kids. They could have turned away from God because of our foolishness, but He drew them to Himself, and they are walking with God. I’ve learned not to give in to my buttons being pushed about interpretation of Scripture! And we know the end of the story. If we endure there will be a reward at the end. This life is only an eye blink of time in light of eternity.
There is only one proper response to your comment. Amen! And Thank You!
Here’s more to rejoice about. Joni gives a list of some of the blessings we receive from God every day. http://www.joniandfriends.org/radio/5-minute/gods-big-blessings1/#.U4uCMyq2Vyw.email
Joni is an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing.
Comments are closed.