- When we say that God is holy, what do we think we mean?
- How can any human being be holy like God?
- Secular thinkers are outraged by the behavior God demands of people who serve him. What is the single most important reason that secular thinkers are outraged by God’s demands?
- What gives God the right to make demands of human beings? Why do secular thinkers reject the idea that God has that right? Why do Christ’s followers believe God absolutely has that right?
- The first thing God says after this command is, “Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father.” Why do secular thinkers find this command revolting? Why does God presume to insist on our reverence before our parents, regardless of their character? What does this behavior have to do with being holy?
- The parents of a human being are the two people who contributed their genes to initiate a new life on earth. What does God’s teaching show us about his plan for human life? What does God’s teaching show us about life itself in God’s eyes? How does this teaching help us understand the reason that Jesus rose from the dead?
- Ayn Rand famously promoted the rule of non-contradiction. If Jesus is alive, then he is not non-alive. How would you explain this truth to a secular thinker? Why does it matter?