1.This day at Thy creating word
First o’er the earth the light was poured:
O Lord, this day upon us shine
And fill our souls with light divine.
- This day the Lord for sinners slain
In might victorious rose again:
O Jesus, may we raised be
From death of sin to life in Thee!
- This day the Holy Spirit came
With fiery tongues of cloven flame:
O Spirit, fill our hearts this day
With grace to hear and grace to pray.
- O day of light and life and grace,
From earthly toil sweet resting-place,
Thy hallowed hours, blest gift of love,
Give we again to God above.
- All praise to God the Father be,
All praise, eternal Son, to Thee,
Whom, with the Spirit, we adore
Forever and forevermore.
by William W. How, 1823-1897 Source:http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/luth_hymnal/tlh012.htm
License: Text is in the public domain
- What day is “this day” in verse 1?
- What day is “this day” in verse 2?
- What day is “this day” in verse 3?
- What day is “this day” in verse 4?
- If the same God blesses and directs each day, what is the right model for history? How does this model differ from the secular theory of historical evolution?
- What difference does it make to you in daily life that God is the God of all history, one God now and forever?
By Katherine Harms, author of Oceans of Love available for Kindle at Amazon.com.
Image: Open Hymnal
License: CC BY-NC-SA