|How Firm a Foundation
The United Methodist Hymnal Number 529
- Christians are universally advised to “practice” prayer and Bible study daily in order to grow and mature in the faith. Why?
- This hymn celebrates the value of the Bible to every believer. What important truth is confessed in verse 1?
- What important event in the life of Jesus includes the important promise in verse 2? What other bBible stories include that promise? Why do we need that promise right now? Today?
- Current events in the USA feel very threatening. Just this week a woman in Mississippi resigned her job rather than act in conflict with her Christian convictions about marriage. How does verse 3 describe the value of the Bible in that situation?
- In Iran a pastor is serving a prison sentence for acting on his faith in Christ. In Syria, children have been executed because they are Christians. In Laos, Christians are evicted from their homes and accused of being a danger to the community because they refuse to worship the local gods. What does verse 4 say to Christians in these situations? The promises of verse 4 are all found in the Bible. If you needed to read those words, where in the Bible would you find them?
- What do you feel led to do when you sing this hymn?
By Katherine Harms, author of Oceans of Love available for Kindle at Amazon.com.
Image: Open Hymnal
License: CC BY-NC-SA