Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
- What difference does it make that the Lord is one, not many?
- The founder of Islam, Mohammed, claimed that Christians are polytheists. Why do you think he said that? This is supposedly the reason he founded Islam. How would you explain to a Muslim that we believe that God is one God?
- Why do you think Jews consider this verse so important? Do you think this verse has any special importance?
- Why do you think the Lord asks for love in this verse rather than some other form of attachment such as loyalty or obedience? How does a request for love differ from loyalty or obedience or even submission?
- Where in the New Testament do you find an explanation of the love that comes from God? How does that call forth the response of love for God?
- If this verse were hidden in your heart, when might you want to take it out and cling to it?