A Basic Copy Edit is sometimes called a Line Edit. It includes the following:
- Typographical Errors
- Pronouns and antecedents
- Verb Tense confusion
- Overused words/phrases
- Unnecessary words/phrases
- Copyright Compliance
- Text — permission and source
- Image — license, source and credit line
- Music — Lyrics only, permission, source and credits
- Text — placement and form
- Image — attribution and form
- Music — Lyrics only, form of citation
- Style Sheet Compliance — if a style sheet is provided
- High level plot confusion — fiction
- High level character inconsistency — fiction
- Glaring factual errors
- Heading or sub-heading confusion — nonfiction
A Basic Copy Edit does not analyze plot (fiction) or organization (nonfiction).
My standard rate for a basic edit is $.012/word. If a style sheet is provided for compliance checking, the rate is $.014. If you do not have a style sheet, but you would like to have one and wish the edit to include style sheet compliance, see Other Services.
If the manuscript review indicates that the manuscript needs services beyond the scope of a Basic Copy Edit, I may recommend a Deep Copy Edit or a custom process for your edit. See Other Services for information on custom edits. For prices and availability of additional services such as fact checking and style sheet preparation, see Other Services.
Contact me with your questions or to request a price quote for editing your manuscript.