Proofreading is the final step that verifies that a manuscript is ready to be formatted for publication. If the manuscript has not previously been edited at least at the basic level, proofreading is inappropriate.
Proofreading includes the following:
- Typographical errors
- Pronouns and antecedents
- Verb tense confusion
- Overused words/phrases — if a list from previous edits is provided
- Unnecessary words/phrases — if a list from previous edits is provided
- Copyright Compliance — if t
- Text — permission and source
- Image — license, source and credit line
- Music — Lyrics only, permission, source and credits
- Citations — A proofreader will only check for the existence of correct citations and will edit for minor issues. The absence of citations will be noted and considered to be evidence of the absence of copyright compliance. All these issues will be noted by the editor as a warning that the compliance and citation issues must be addressed before the manuscript is published.
- Text — placement and form
- Image — credit line, attribution and form
- Music — Lyrics only, source of lyrics, permissions, and form of citation
- Style Sheet Compliance — if a style sheet is provided
My standard rate for proofreading is $.006/word. If a style sheet is provided for compliance checking, the rate is $.007/word. If you do not have a style sheet, but you would like to have one and wish the edit to include style sheet compliance, see Other Services. The necessity of creating a style sheet will indicate that style sheet compliance has not been checked in prior edits, and the rate will therefore become $.01/word.
If the manuscript review indicates that the manuscript needs services beyond the scope of Proofreading, I will recommend an appropriate level of service. See Other Services for information on custom edits. For prices and availability of additional services such as fact checking and style sheet preparation, see Other Services.
Contact me with your questions or to request a price quote for editing your manuscript.